The Old City was the heart of a larger territory, and concentrated for decades the political, administrative, commercial and cultural city. Because of this past, inner area has a rich architectural heritage, as in any other sector of the city, exhibits all the variety of styles that characterize Montevideo.
On Christmas Eve of 1726, Captain Don Pedro Millán carried out on the orders of the governor of Buenos Aires, Bruno Mauricio de Zabala, the first act of delineation of what would be the original nucleus of San Felipe y Santiago de Montevideo.
Strategic military reasons conceived as the first settlement of the defensive front of the Spanish dominions in the Río de la Plata. The walled city had a parapet artillery battery following the river and the land side, a line of walls that ran from the Cube South and South -rambla Thirty Three- by the current gap street, and from the Vaults and North cube approximately Bartolomé Mitre, coming together in the imposing Citadel.
The town should function as a stronghold within the city walls in an area of constant disputes with the Portuguese.
The Citadel conformed a magnificent work of military architecture whose cornerstone was laid in 1742 and presumably completed around 1780.
The site where today Zabala Square Stayed for over a century the building of the Fort, built between 1766 and 1770, aimed at residence and office of the governors since the time of the Spanish, and later the seat of the executive branch.
The serene bay at the foot of Cerro set has always been a strategic geopolitical point for control of Rio de la Plata and the passage to the South Atlantic.
The port of Montevideo has unique ancestry, with projections that reached the coast of Africa. In 1776, Spain created in Montevideo its large naval base in Western South Atlantic Autonomous Viceroy of Buenos Aires. Reporting directly to the king, had the function of preserving the integrity of the Spanish sovereignty.
Today, the “Old Town” has been transformed. In its heritage and architectural wealth is now added varied recreational, cultural and dining options that make this corner of the city an unavoidable ride.
The history of the Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral, dating back to 1740, the year it opened at its current location. It is a National Historic Landmark since 1975.
Its first building was brick and tile with wooden frames. In November 1790 the foundation stone of the new church is placed, made to mark the start of construction of the initial project of the Portuguese architect José Custodio Saa and Faria, continuing the work the Spanish architect Tomás Toribio.
The temple was consecrated on October 21, 1804. Despite the renovations made in the 1860s by architect Bernardo Poncini and important parts performed by architects Rafael Ruano and Guillermo de Armas from 1941 and for 20 years, its structure and overall style correspond to the original project.