Ciudad vieja is the name given to the Ciudad vieja of Montevideo, capital of Uruguay. Today, Ciudad vieja is a neighborhood in Montevideo. Home to corporations, ministries and government offices, banks, museums, art galleries and cultural centers as well as various items of stores, restaurants, clubs, pubs boliches and, which are frequented by locals and tourists. Part of this transformation is due to the campaign by the government of Montevideo to restore this historic space neglect to which he was subjected for decades. Until 1829 it was surrounded by a wall that protected the city from possible invasion, now non-existent structure, which nevertheless retains one of the most emblematic parts, the Gate of the Citadel, which is still standing. It is the emblem of the old fortified Montevideo and was built from 1742. Today, located on either side of Independence Square marks the beginning of the Sarandi pedestrian street leading to the center of the Ciudad vieja. Some neighborhood streets recall the presence of the wall, as the Citadel street or street gap. The latter takes its name from the fact of being located at the point where the British managed to open the wall during the capture of the city in the English invasion of 1807. The old Sarandi street was transformed into a pedestrian in 1992, increasing their features shopping and walk. In 2005 it was extended beyond the Matrix Plaza. In the Ciudad vieja there are numerous buildings of the colonial era and early decades of independence of great architectural value. Including Museo Torres García, Museum of Pre-Columbian Art and Indigenous and Mueso Decorative Arts (installed in the Palace: Cabildo de Montevideo (built between 1804 and 1812), the Teatro Solis, the Mother Church and several museums stand Taranco). The National Historical Museum in the Old City include the Romantic Museum in the house of Antonio Montero and Manuel Ximenez houses and Gomez, Fructuoso Rivera, Juan Antonio Lavalleja, Juan Francisco Turned and Giuseppe Garibaldi. We can also find in this neighborhood where the sun was born in 1764 José Gervasio Artigas, hero of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay. La Rambla of Montevideo was conceived here as a means of rapid movement, nurtured to facilitate transportation to and from the Port of Montevideo. Know this beautiful city and study Spanish in Montevideo. Featured Sites:
The Cabildo of Montevideo is a symbol and witness of Montevideo of the Spanish colonial era. The Cabildo was a landmark in the history of the Republic, as there swore the First Constitution in 1830. The building is located in Juan Carlos Gomez and Sarandi vs. the Matrix Plaza. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975.
Torres García Museum
The Museo Torres García, protects part of the work of Professor, writer and painter Joaquín Torres García, founder of Constructive Universalism. Depends on “García Torres Foundation.” It is located the pedestrian Sarandi 683, Barrio Ciudad Vieja in Montevideo, Uruguay. Visiting hours are Monday to Saturday from 10 to 18 (closed Sundays).
The Gurvich Museum is an institution located in Montevideo (Uruguay), created to promote the life and work of Uruguayan artist José Gurvich. One depends on the Gurvich Foundation, which supported the Ministry of Education and Culture of Uruguay. To enter the museum you have to pay an entry, Tuesday being the day of free admission. In late 2013 the museum announced a temporary shutdown for change of venue, is expected to occupy the site in the pedestrian Sarandi 522 in the course of 2014 building.
Museum of Pre-Columbian Art and MAPI Indigenous
The Museum of Pre-Columbian and Indigenous (MAPI) Art is located on the street 25 May 279, Barrio Ciudad Vieja, Montevideo, Uruguay. Contains significant archaeological and ethnographic heritage of the indigenous peoples of America. Exhibits, preserves and conserves cultural expressions of these peoples beliefs and technology. It is a mixed cultural enterprise in which they are associated the Montevideo and civil society, in which the parties bring values, assets and resources from a shared vision.
Taranco Palace Museum of Decorative Arts
The Taranco Palace occupies the block where the first theater that existed in Montevideo, called “House of Comedy” started. It now houses the Museum of Decorative Arts Palace Taranco. It was designed by French architects Charles Louis Girault (author of the Petit Palais in Paris) and Jules Lion Chifflot.